Friday, October 22, 2010

just writing..

So a little update on kyle...At age 5 he will be having the Sensory Integration and Praxis Test.His OT therapist cant do it sooner as things have to be done when he is 5.It also means having to get Insurance to cover it.In addition he will need to be seen after by a developmental pediatrician to rule out other things such as adhd,autism etc as these things at times go with SPD.He is still on the wait list for Speech/oral motor.Once i get the results from the test i can take them to the school district lady who we work with for kyles in home therapy...set up an appt with the school he will be going to and the kindergarten dept to figure out goals and such for him..she said his IEP follows him through to school..once he is at the 3 year mark he is reevaluated.She also wants me to give her a letter from Kyles OT therapist stating speech issues etc so kyle might also qualify for speech through the school district as well.
Mentally its quite a bit to take in The whole sensory processing disorder.Its wierd because i have thought he has had this for awhile...but i guess finally knowing things are going to be in motion soon its hit me.Ive been feeling down the past few days about it.I mean this is something we may have to deal with for the rest of his life.I know i didnt physically do anything wrong when i was pregnant but for some reason i find me blaming myself.its stupid i know.Ive read that it could be genetic as well..as i dont know the full family history i dont know how to find out if its genetic...is there a blood test they do?
I know i need to buck up and not want to cry but gosh im very emotional today.Kyle also did not sleep well last night so i was up 5 times with him.Once we get his weighted blanket i hope he will sleep better.Maybe i need to see if there is a support group or something out there.

7 comments:

Brownie said...

Hi Peggy,
I came across your blog about Kyle. I just wanted to encourage you. My little boy is almost 6 - he's ADHD, sort of a little tornado.

He had the sensory integration assessment - the assessment indicated that he had some problems in that area. However, when she was giving me "tools" to use to improve his sensory skills she would tell me to use another when one wouldn't work. I finally said to her "it sounds a bit like voo-doo science." And she agreed that it pretty much was a crap shoot to see what works. This was from an agency that all the professionals referrer to for sensory integration! So I stopped stressing about it and just went with the flow for what worked for Red.

Things that do help Red are deep pressure things. The weighted blanket didn't help, but laying with him, wrapping myself around him and holding him tightly, calms him down. His sister does this to him, too. AT school they had to put him in a basket hold one day and that helped him.

Also - skin brushing. The brush you use is the brushes doctors use to scrub up with. You do long even pressure up and down the arm. Red likes that.

Earlier a mental health professional that worked with preschool said that Red was PDD (pervasive developmental disorder which is in the autism spectrum). I disagreed with it but decided to do further testing.

I took Red to a leading child psychologist in our area -needed for school assistance. I told him about the possible PDD. He paused and I said "is this a current fad diagnosis?" He said it seems to be the "flavor of the month."

He did diagnosis Red with ADHD - I groaned at that because it seems that so many parents of boys claim their son has ADHD. But Red really does - he's all over the place.

What was the best advice that the psychologist gave me? No medication, we really don't know what meds do to growing bodies. Hang in there - the goal is just to get through childhood until he is able to self-regulate. He also said that classrooms weren't designed for most boys, and certainly not boys like Red. But he is going to public school, he has an IEP, he has speech therapy, occupational therapy, he has a mental health practitioner as his own personal 1-1 all day long helping him to learn to attend.

All these helps are wonderful. What I have found specifically to be of utmost help is fish oil and multivitamins with a whole food component. Really. He gets 1, sometimes 2, tablespoons of fish oil every day. I get an emulsified oil with a lemon flavor and he takes it no problem at all.

I do have problems getting his multivitamins down him - but when this is consistent I see big improvements and the school does, too.

I'm sorry this is such a long post -please don't feel you have to publish it unless you want to. It's just that I read your blog entry and just FEEL for you so much.

Us moms love our children so much and would do anything to help them.

Hang in there, take a deep breath - you aren't alone.

Brownie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brownie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brownie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brownie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
engineering degree online said...

I like the work and the content from the blog. nice done. !!

Le'BookSquirrel said...

thank you!I started a new blog so i can write all about kyle.